Day 369 Subsidy money best spent on…. incinerators???

Strong quakes jolt Kanto, Tohoku, Hokkaido

Kyodo

The Kanto and Tohoku regions were each rocked by strong temblors Wednesday evening, while parts of Hokkaido observed tsunami measuring up to 20 cm.

According to the Meteorological Agency, an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.1 shook the Kanto region surrounding Tokyo on Wednesday night, with Ibaraki and Chiba prefectures logging strong jolts.

The 9:05 p.m. quake measured an upper 5 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale to 7 in southern parts of Ibaraki and northeastern parts of Chiba, and 3 in Tokyo, according to the agency.

No tsunami warning was issued following the quake, and no abnormalities were reported at the Fukushima No. 1 and No. 2 nuclear plants in Fukushima Prefecture.

Earlier in the evening, an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.8 jolted the Pacific side of Hokkaido and northeastern Honshu, with tsunami measuring up to 20 cm observed later in some areas of Hokkaido and Aomori prefectures, the agency said.

The quake struck at 6:09 p.m. and registered 4 on the Japanese seismic intensity scale in the Kushiro area of southeastern Hokkaido, and also in parts of Aomori and Iwate prefectures, according to the agency.

The focus of the quake was off the Tohoku region’s Sanriku coast, at a depth of about 10 km. The agency issued a tsunami warning for waves of up to 50 cm covering areas of the Pacific coast in Aomori, Iwate and Hokkaido.

Article continues at:

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120315a1.html

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

Contamination Fears Linger for Japanese Children, Workers One Year After Fukushima Meltdown [Video]

We go to Japan to speak with Aileen Mioko Smith, executive director of the Kyoto-based group Green Action, as Japan marks the first anniversary of the massive earthquake and tsunami that left approximately 20,000 dead or missing and triggered a meltdown at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. It was the world’s worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl. About 326,000 Japanese residents remain homeless, including 80,000 evacuated from the vicinity of the Fukushima facility. Residents evacuated from the zone set up in a 12-mile radius around the nuclear plant are especially struggling to rebuild their lives. We also speak with Saburo Kitajima, a contract laborer and union organizer from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant. “The workers at the Fukushima plant are currently working under extreme circumstances,” Kitajima says. “In spite of being exposed to radiation, the levels of wages run to about $100 a day.”

To watch the video and read the transcript:

http://www.democracynow.org/2012/3/12/contamination_fears_linger_for_japanese_children

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

2 Other Reasons Why Municipalities in Japan Want Disaster Debris

 The first and foremost is a fat subsidy they will get from the national government (which is beyond broke, so it will tax the citizens today and for the foreseeable future) for saying yes to having the disaster debris contaminated with radioactive materials and toxic chemicals shipped to their cities and towns to burn and bury the resulting ashes.

But it is slowly emerging that there are equally short-term, other reasons these local politicians and bureaucrats want the contaminated debris.

  1. The incinerators, if they are state-of-the-art, need more garbage even to operate, so the disaster debris is god-sent;
  2. The incinerators, if not state-of-the-art, badly need upgrading or even building new ones (or so they say), and by saying yes to the debris the municipalities will get the subsidy from the national government for the upgrade or building new ones.

Article continues with translation of an article from Shukan Post at:

http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2012/03/2-other-reasons-why-municipalities-in.html

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

This, from ENENEWS at:

http://enenews.com/criminal-complaint-be-filed-against-top-govt-tepco-officials-failures-left-many-exposed-radiation-assemblyman-nonsense-held-criminally-responsible-causing-major-nuclear-accident

Kyodo: Criminal complaint to be filed against top gov’t and Tepco officials — Says failures left many exposed to radiation — Assemblyman: “Nonsense that nobody has been held criminally responsible for causing a major nuclear accident”

Title: Fukushima citizens to accuse TEPCO, gov’t of negligence over crisis
Source: Kyodo
Date: March 15, 2012

Two civic groups in Fukushima Prefecture are planning to file a criminal complaint against senior officials of Tokyo Electric Power Co. and government bodies for professional negligence over the Fukushima nuclear crisis, group members said Wednesday. […]

They will claim that the failure of the utility operating the stricken Fukushima Daiichi power plant and the government bodies to prevent the nuclear crisis left many people exposed to radiation and some inpatients dead while fleeing from nearby medical institutions.

The groups are also considering accusing those officials of violating a law on pollution causing health hazards by having spread massive amounts of radioactive substances following the crisis triggered by the devastating earthquake and tsunami last year. […]

The citizens will also accuse the government’s nuclear safety bodies of not instructing TEPCO to implement steps to avoid a major accident, [Attorney Yukuo] Yasuda said. […]

Kazuyoshi Sato, 58-year-old member of the Iwaki municipal assembly in charge of one of the groups

  • It’s “nonsense that nobody has been held criminally responsible for causing a major nuclear accident”
  • “I’d like to call on as many Fukushima people as possible, including those who are taking shelter in areas outside of the prefecture, to join our action”

The Plan

[The groups] will hold a rally Friday in the city of Iwaki with an eye to mobilizing about 1,000 Fukushima residents to lodge the complaint in mid-May with the Fukushima District Public Prosecutors Office against officials of the governmental Nuclear Safety Commission of Japan and the Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency as well as TEPCO

Read the report here

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

Gov’t panel divided on Japan’s future use of atomic power

TOKYO (Kyodo) — Members of a government panel tasked with presenting policy options for Japan’s new energy plan are deeply divided over the nation’s future use of nuclear power, according to papers released by the panel Wednesday.

Among 18 experts of the 25-member panel who presented figures on a desirable energy mix for 2030, five said nuclear power should be zero by then and one said it should account for zero to 10 percent of Japan’s total energy supply.

Nine other members cited figures between 15 and 35 percent, and three made comments without specifying numbers on nuclear power. The other seven presented no figures at all, with one saying social priorities following the Fukushima nuclear disaster should be discussed first.

Article continues at:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20120315p2g00m0dm012000c.html

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

No cracks or strains seen in suppression chamber of No. 2 reactor at Fukushima plant

This photo provided by TEPCO shows the interior of the

This photo provided by TEPCO shows the interior of the “torus” pressure pool in the reactor building of the No. 2 reactor at the Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant.

Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO) took and released photographs on March 14 of the pressure suppression chamber of the No. 2 reactor at the crippled Fukushima No. 1 Nuclear Power Plant and the utility said there were apparently no cracks in the chamber or no changes in the shape of the device.

Article continues at:

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20120315p2a00m0na009000c.html

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

More at EX-SKF:

First Photos of the Torus of Reactor 2 at #Fukushima I Nuke Plant after the Accident, No Discernible Damage

from little they saw.

6 TEPCO workers entered the basements (mezzanine floor) of Reactors 2 and 3 buildings on March 14 to try to survey the damage in the Suppression Chambers. Max radiation exposure for the workers was 2.87 millisieverts. Expected dose was 10 millisieverts, but they seem to have gotten out of Reactor 3 rather quickly, spending only 8 minutes there as opposed to 20 minutes in Reactor 2.

From what Yomiuri reported (3/14/2012), about Reactor 2’s basement:

  • No apparent damage as far as the workers could see;
  • Photos of the Suppression Chamber taken from a small adjacent room (window);
  • Radiation levels in the adjacent rooms were 20 to 35 millisieverts/hour;
  • Radiation levels near the Suppression Chamber were 130 to 160 millisieverts/hour;
  • Water in the 1st floor of the basement;
  • TEPCO will use robots for further survey, as the radiation levels [in the Suppression Chamber] were too high for humans.

Well wasn’t that rather obvious that the radiation levels would be rather high? Why didn’t TEPCO use Quince or Packbot? (TEPCO needs those swarming flying robots.)

Article continues at:

http://ex-skf.blogspot.com/2012/03/first-photos-of-torus-of-reactor-2-at.html

=  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =  ~  =

(via ENENEWS)

Crass, bitter, and very funny:

Fukushima Radioactivity too high to enter building..ETC! update 3/14/12

☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢☢

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: