Dismayed (though not all THAT surprised) at this lead story. The Aichi area is due for The Big One at any time. Is this what we have awaiting us? Food stored and no procedure to get it to the people who need it – AGAIN???
– – – – – –
Typhoon evacuees spent hungry night despite well-stocked shelters
NAGOYA — Municipal officials here left residents at evacuation centers during the height of Typhoon No. 15 without any food, even though the centers had been stocked with supplies, a source close to the situation has told the Mainichi.
Some 1.09 million people were ordered or advised to evacuate by the city as the massive typhoon approached, and many residents took shelter at designated evacuation centers. No municipal government staff, however, spent the stormy night with the residents, and no food was distributed.
According to officials at Nagoya’s Kita Ward Office, as many as 270 people evacuated to a gymnasium at a local high school on Sept. 20, of whom at least several dozen spent the night there. As many as 12 municipal employees were also there, but did not distribute any of the 256 hardtack ration kits, or 50 rice porridge meals in storage at the school, for just such an emergency. The municipal staff also told residents nothing about the food situation.
One 83-year-old woman who had arrived at the gym with almost no food of her own told the Mainichi, “Even though no one knew how long the evacuation would last, there was no explanation about meals. It made me very anxious.”
A 42-year-old evacuee said, “There were long periods when there were no ward staff there at all, and there was no one to talk to about what was going on.”
The Kita Ward official responsible for the evacuation center said, “We didn’t know how many evacuees there would be. We didn’t distribute the food because that would have been unfair to anyone who came later, when there was none left.” Furthermore, “There were ward staff at the high school, but they did not stay in the gym with the evacuees. I am very sorry for this oversight.”
(Mainichi Japan) September 23, 2011
= + = + = + =
Typhoon No. 15 does severe damage to fruit farmers in disaster-stricken northeast
RIKUZENTAKATA, Iwate — Fruit farmers in this tsunami-ravaged region are once again counting up the damage of a natural disaster after powerful Typhoon No. 15 wiped out a significant portion of the year’s crop.
One 70-year-old local farmer walked through his orchard after the storm to find many of his apples on the ground, only about a month before harvest time. Nothing can be done with unripe fruit that has fallen off the trees but throw it away. Some still left on the trees will also go to waste, as the typhoon winds caused tree branches to smack into the apples, scratching and bruising them. All told, about 60 percent of the farmer’s crop was wrecked. Furthermore, of the some 300 trees on the orchard, about 10 snapped in the storm.
“They were so perfectly round this year, too,” the farmer lamented as he surveyed the damage.
(Mainichi Japan) September 23, 2011
Fukushima evacuee makes anti-nuclear speech in NY
A farmer in Fukushima Prefecture has urged people around the world to get rid of nuclear power plants, saying there is no such thing as safe nuclear power.
53-year Sachiko Sato from Kawamata Town spoke at a gathering in central New York on Thursday. The event, organized by a US anti-nuclear group, was attended by about 70 people.
Sato was forced to evacuate from Fukushima to neighboring Yamagata Prefecture with her family after the accident in March at the Fukushima Daiichi plant.
Sato said the nuclear accident changed her life totally and that she wants people to know the hardship she has gone through after being forced to abandon her farmland.
Sato called on people all over the world to work together to get rid of nuclear plants, saying that when one thinks about the future of children what they have to do is clear.
Friday, September 23, 2011 09:30 +0900 (JST)
= + = + = + =
There are a few words I would like to use to preface this next article, but as I have rated this blog “P” for general audiences, I shall refrain.
– – –
Noda voices confidence over resolution of Fukushima nuclear crisis
By Takuya Karube
NEW YORK, Sept. 22, Kyodo
Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda on Thursday expressed confidence that the ongoing nuclear crisis at the Fukushima Daiichi power plant will be brought under control in the not-too-distant future.
In a speech at the United Nations, Noda pledged that Japan will disclose all information related to the crisis, the worst since the Chernobyl disaster in 1986, and share with the international community the lessons Japan has learned about nuclear safety.
Noda explained that he had visited the power plant, crippled by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami, earlier this month to get a closer look at its reactor buildings.
”This very fact demonstrates the steady progress in our efforts to bring the accident under stable control,” he told the world body’s high-level meeting on nuclear safety and security.
The prime minister informed U.N. Secretary General Ban Ki Moon and other world leaders of the latest Japanese estimates showing that the amount of radioactive substances being released from the reactors has fallen to around one-four millionth of the level at the early stage of the crisis.
Noda, who took office three weeks ago, said Japan will aim to bring the reactors into a state of cold shutdown by the end of this year, one month ahead of the initial target.
While admitting Japan’s emergency response and preparedness for an enormous tsunami was insufficient, he said, ”Japan is determined to raise the safety of its nuclear power generation to the highest level in the world,” signaling that his government has no immediate plans to phase out the country’s nuclear reactors.
Noda also said Japan stands ready to continue to export its technology and expertise to emerging economies seeking to introduce nuclear facilities and at the same time to step up its efforts to take the lead in expanding the use of renewable energy.
Noda, who is making his international debut as premier in New York, noted that Japan will present the specifics of its new energy policy over the medium and long terms around next summer.
He added that Japan will strengthen nuclear security with the rest of the world to prevent terrorist access.
In closing his remarks, Noda said he is confident Japan will overcome the nuclear crisis and there will be a time when Fukushima will be remembered as ”the place where, through people’s strong will and courage, a new era was opened for the future of humankind.”
The high-level meeting, organized at the request of the U.N. chief in the wake of the Fukushima crisis, was attended by world leaders including Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, French President Nicolas Sarkozy and South Korean President Lee Myung Bak, as well as top officials from more than 50 countries.
Many of them proposed that global nuclear safety standards be enhanced in conjunction with the International Atomic Energy Agency.
”Participants affirmed that the responsibility for ensuring the application of the highest standards of nuclear safety…lies with each state and operating organization,” the U.N. chief said in his chairman’s summary.
Nassir Abdulaziz Al-Nasser, president of the 66th U.N. General Assembly, said the Fukushima disaster was ”a loud global wake-up call.”
”When one of the world’s best-prepared countries can experience such a large-scale nuclear accident, it is all too clear that we must continue to evolve our thinking and practices for the safe and secure operation of nuclear facilities worldwide,” Al-Nasser said.
Still, many attendees at the same time said it would be unrealistic to abandon nuclear energy in the near future.
South Korean leader Lee said the Fukushima accident was ”a hard blow” to trust in nuclear safety. But he said this should not be ”cause to renounce nuclear energy. On the contrary, this is a moment to seek ways to promote the safe use of nuclear energy based on scientific evidence.”
= + = + = + =
Two stories on “Fukushima Diary”
Background: Impact of Radiation on Babies
News: Japan after the typhoon
about elevated levels of radiation
= + = + = + =
And two from EX-SKF… please click on the link to read the entire article:
More than 10,000 ppm Hydrogen Detected Inside the Pipe That Leads to Containment Vessel of Reactor 1
Speaking of hydrogen, TEPCO just announced it detected hydrogen at 2 locations inside the pipe that leads to the Containment Vessel of Reactor 1.
[TEPCO] assures us, according to Yomiuri Shinbun, that the existence of hydrogen in the pipe had been expected, although the density was higher than expected, and that there would be no danger of an explosion.
So if TEPCO says “more than 10,000 ppm”, it either means they didn’t bring the instrument that could measure higher than 10,000 ppm, or they don’t want you to know how high.
I wouldn’t be surprised at either. We haven’t heard anything more about the location near the exhaust stack for Reactors 1 and 2 that measured “more than 10 sieverts/hour”. Was it 11 sieverts? 20 sieverts? 50 sieverts?
It could be the same here in the pipe. “More than 10,000 ppm” could be 11,000 ppm, 20,000 ppm, or 40,000 ppm.
after they treat the water to remove as much radioactive materials and salt as possible from the water.
TEPCO seems to be running out of storage space for contaminated water, and at the same time is worried that the wood piles may catch fire after the trees were cut down to make room for storage facilities on the west side of the plant.